There a few other things that needed done to prepare for next years garden. On Tuesday I planted the garlic. This year I had volunteers come up, so I kept all of them. I had nine heads plus seeds from one scape. Now I have four rows planted with zero additional cost.
In another effort to save money on buying seeds and plants, Grace and I gathered seeds on Saturday. She had one Lima seed and one pinto seed from school. We planted them and we were able to get a few seeds to grow more next year.
We collected green beans too. We labeled them because I collected the very first pods this year, but didn't let them dry on the vine. I want to see if that makes any difference in how well they germinate.
We collected asparagus seeds as part of our other experiment. We planted half of them immediately and saved the other half. We also planted half the dried seeds that I collected last year. For more on that project, watch http://youtu.be/7ZEwT0n5enA
Lastly I grabbed a few good tomatoes and scraped the seeds out onto a paper plate to dry. All my tomatoes were grown from seed this year and I hope to do the same next year but with my own seeds.
Now that all that work is done, we can turn our attention from gathering to hunting! Now season for deer starts next Tuesday and youth shotgun season is this coming weekend. Time to fill the freezer.