Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First Harvest

It's been a while since I posted.  Busy with a lot of things including trying to figure out why all our chickens are gone.  Maybe coyotes, but probably raccoons.  Didn't help that Addison, one of our dogs, killed a few.

My sweet potato experiment is finally beginning to take shape.  I had given up on it, but I finally see some vines beginning to make their way out of the top.  It took longer than I thought, but it is helping me learn patience.  
Since I posted last, our garden has started to come in nicely.  Here is the first batch of radishes we pulled.  We also thinned our lettuce, a variety type that includes arugula.  In the bottom picture, you can see the radishes and lettuce as the bedding for these tuna cakes I made along with some rice pilaf.

 I am looking forward to continuing to eat fresh from the garden as a part of every meal.  The leftover lettuce, we wilted in some bacon grease and included in a frittata the next morning.

We will replace the chickens, after a little more security goes into their coop, and soon a whole meal will be made of food grown, raised, or harvested off of the east half of the southwest quarter.

No comments: