Monday, April 8, 2013

Garden Beginning

Last night Susan, Grace and I planted the beginnings of our garden.  First we weeded around the onions that are growing up from last year.  Then we planted seven short rows.  Peas, spinach, spice mix lettuce, romaine, cabbage, broccoli, and the last row is a combination carrots and radishes.

I have been told that planting carrots and radishes together allows for thinning the carrots by picking the radishes.  Neat idea, thought we would give it a try.

I also planted a half acre pasture for the horses and another 1/4 acre to grow hay.  I used a pasture mix that I got from Deno's Farm & Feed.  Hopefully the rain we are expecting is for real, because I don't have the ability to water that much land.

Tonight I plan to start some more indoor seeds and do a little pruning on my first batch.  Some haven't grown well, and I think I will put them out of their misery and reuse the soil and space for hardier stock.

No comments: